Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jaw-Dropping - Tear-Inducing - Altogether Beyond Words

I just downloaded Jeff Beck's 2010 release "Emotion and Commotion." The whole work is brilliant, but when I heard Jeff play "Nessun Dorma" by Puccini, I just about came out of my own skin. Where do I start?

First of all, Jeff Beck has so mastered the Fender Stratocaster that there are only perhaps 5 other people in the world who can claim to be able to use it remotely as musically (Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, a couple of others). His tone is so achingly beautiful that he could have played the whole piece unaccompanied and it would have been great. But, eschewing a rock band and fronting an orchestra, he put himself in the Andrea Boccelli seat and more than capably filled it. His guitar playing just takes flight. He demonstrates that his success on Nessun was no fluke when he accomplishes the same feat yet again on "Elegy for Dunkirk."

Jeff also does some wonderful R&B on this album. Looking for a singer? How about JOSS STONE. Check out Jeff and Joss doing "I Put a Spell on You." It is one for the ages!

I could effuse all night about this - just go to Itunes right now and download the album. If you like guitar music at all this one may never come off of your Ipod.


www.jeffbeck.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Musician, educator, audio engineer, guitar junkie!

Counter